The Happy Noisemaker Prize For Storytelling
Terms and Conditions
This writing contest (the “Contest”) is organised and executed by Noisemaking Media Limited (“The Happy Noisemaker”) domiciled in Lagos State, Nigeria. By actively participating in the Contest, you hereby expressly agree to be bound by the terms and conditions contained herein. You implicitly confirm by participating in this Contest that all information submitted is current, complete and accurate.
The Writing Contest
- Each participant is expected to submit only one creative writing paper with the liberty of choosing their own desired topic. All details in relation to this Contest will be published by The Happy Noisemaker on both its website at www.happynoisemaker.com and other chosen online platforms.
- This Contest will have three categories (1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place) with one winner per category, three winners in total.
- Permitted entries shall be 2,500 words in length, with 10% above or below this word limit being acceptable, and must be written in the English language alone.
- The shortlisted winning entries shall be published on the online platforms of The Happy Noisemaker for a minimum period of 5 (Five) years.
- All submissions are expected to be received by 12:00 pm West Africa Time (WAT) on 15th September 2023, the official closing date of the Contest. The Happy Noisemaker shall not accept any entry submitted after the provided deadline. The Happy Noisemaker shall not be held liable and/or responsible for any entry that is lost, delayed, damaged or unable to be submitted.
- All written entries must be formatted as plaintext in the form of a document and submitted electronically through www.happynoisemaker.com or to the email address provided, with the subject line: “The Happy Noisemaker Prize for Storytelling”. All submissions must be in either PDF, Word or compatible formats.
- Participants are restricted to only one submission. All submitted entries may not be substituted, replaced or exchanged for other works.
- By participating in the Contest, all participants represent and warrant that all submissions will be their own original work without infringement on any third party rights (including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks and intellectual property rights). In the event of a breach, The Happy Noisemaker will not accept responsibility for any infringements and the participant hereby agrees to indemnify The Happy Noisemaker against any claim by any third party.
- All participants must ensure that the entries do not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive, or any other unsavory words/language. The Happy Noisemaker retains its rights to disqualify such participants and render the entries ineligible.
- Each participant shall retain their full intellectual property (IP) and other associated rights to their entries. However, the participants hereby grant to The Happy Noisemaker, permission and a perpetual non-exclusive royalty-free license to publish, broadcast and post the entries online and on any of its platforms yet to be envisaged. The Happy Noisemaker will always seek the consent of the participant prior to monetising any works submitted.
- The Contest is open to all individuals above the age of 18 who are citizens of any of the 54 African countries.
- By entering a submission in the Contest, the participant confirms that they have complied with the provided terms and are eligible to claim the prizes. The Happy Noisemaker may require a valid means of identification (ID) to ascertain eligibility to enter the Contest.
- Entries not submitted in accordance with the terms and conditions contained herein and all other rules given by The Happy Noisemaker will not be eligible.
Winner Selection and Prizes
- A panel constituted by The Happy Noisemaker shall be responsible for the evaluation of all submissions. This panel, in its discretion, shall also shortlist the winning entries across all three categories.
- The prizes for each category are as follows: 1st place – $1,000.00 (One Thousand Dollars), 2nd place – $500.00 (Five Hundred Dollars), 3rd place – $300.00 (Three Hundred Dollars). These prizes are non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for other items.
- Any decision reached by the panel shall be final and binding upon all parties without the opportunity for an overturn.
- The winners of The Happy Noisemaker Prize for Storytelling will be announced on 10th November, 2023.
- All winners will be notified via the contact information they have provided alongside their submission.
- The Happy Noisemaker shall use its best endeavors to contact all winners. If any winner remains unreachable after a period of 10 (Ten) days from the notification, the prize may be forfeited and The Happy Noisemaker reserves the right to select an alternate winner from the other eligible entries submitted.
Use of Personal Information
- The Happy Noisemaker shall announce the names, countries and submission titles of the winners across its various platforms.
- For further questions or concerns relating to the use of your personal data, kindly contact [email protected].
- The participants understand and agree that The Happy Noisemaker is not the agent, partner or representative of the participant. The Happy Noisemaker shall be considered an independent contractor for the purpose of this Contest. Neither party shall have the authority to bind the other without first obtaining the prior written consent of the other.
- The Happy Noisemaker shall not be held liable for any loss or damage suffered by a participant in connection with their taking part in the Contest. In addition, The Happy Noisemaker shall not be held liable for a participant’s inability to either make a submission or claim a prize.
- The Happy Noisemaker is not responsible for any technical malfunctions experienced, lost or delayed entries, or any other factors which may interfere with the ability to participate.
- The Happy Noisemaker may at any time disqualify a submission that violates or contravenes these terms and conditions. Plagiarism, fraud and/or theft will constitute sufficient grounds for immediate disqualification.
- The Happy Noisemaker reserves the right to amend, as necessary, or terminate the Contest for any reason, with or without notice. The Happy Noisemaker reserves the right to also vary these terms at their convenience.
- These terms and conditions are governed by laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.